[ RadSafe ] Airport X-Ray scanners

Kenneth Marshall kenneth.marshall at carestream.com
Thu Dec 2 13:24:28 CST 2010

Clayton J Bradt wrote:

> In effect TSA is self-regulated when it comes to the application of
radiation to humans.

I have witnessed the level of safety first hand at a undisclosed gov't
site that uses RPE.
My experience:

Very little control - No signs of an ALARA program -  persons walking
around operating units without regard for keeping away from beam path -
The "manufacturer" told them they don't need to keep away
Very few or no documents regarding equipment output & use
No dosimeters for any employees
No "notice to employees" posting of any kind
No records of surveys or training records  (but assuredly its safe)
Someone produced a survey meter - but it wasn't calibrated and didn't know
how to use it.
Supervisor said union didn't want workers categorized as radiation
workers, cause they would ask for more money
Luckily the most heavily used equipment I observed on site were the
vending machines and  multiple television sets around the facility which
had very little radiation output.

In my humble opinion, I think one miscarriage from a TSA employee that
doesn't have a dosiemter to prove or disprove what the exposure was (or
wasn't) would be a big lawsuit in the making.

Kenneth Marshall, RRPT
Radiation & Laser Safety Officer
Kenneth.marshall at carestreamhealth.com
Office 585.627.8523