[ RadSafe ] Vermont Yankee leaking tritium --- time to panic(?)

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Tue Feb 2 11:11:40 CST 2010

MIke,

I'm working with an old man's memory here, but I think the major tritium
removal mechanism at PWRs is spent fuel pool evaporation.  PWRs generate a
fair amount of tritium (lithium chemistry??), they just dispose of it in a
a variety of ways. The point being that except for heavy water reactors
(where they save the water), eventually a fair amount of tritium is
generated and disposed of.   Not that this is a threat to health and
safety (after all the preferred cure is to drink lots of good beer), but
it isn't restricted to BWRs.

BTW, I never seriously looked at the BWR tritium "economy."   Anybody else
want to weigh in on this?

 - - jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768