SV: [ RadSafe ] Vermont Yankee leaking tritium --- time to panic(?)

Olsson Mattias :MSO mso at forsmark.vattenfall.se
Fri Feb 5 01:35:02 CST 2010

Hi,

About tritium economy... Speaking at least for a BWR. There are three major sources of tritium in a nuclear reactor:

- Neutron capture in deuterium (lots of it, but low cross section, ca 5E+6 Bq/MWt/month) and neutron capture in Li (not as much of it, but high cross section). About 1 ppb of Li in your reactor coolant would give you similar amounts of the tho activation paths.

- Ternary fission in the fuel (2E+10 Bq/MWt/month). This can reach the coolant only during fuel failures but the release tends to be very small.

- Neutron capture in B and Li in control rods. 3.5E+9 Bq/MWt/month, mostly from the rods that are actually used in the core. Leaking control rods cause notable increases of tritium in the coolant.

Most of the tritium that is released, is released to water, the rest to the air. The choice is between higher releases or a build-up of tritium in the coolant (concentration goes down as water is replaced). Heavy water reactors tend to have enormous tritium inventories due to more deuterium that can be activated, plus they save water more carefully. A typical release to the environment would be 2E+7 Bq/MWt/month of which perhaps 80-90% goes to air. All numbers are of course very sensitive to varying amounts of control rod damage, Li concentration and water economy.

All numbers are from an overview of BWR tritium production ordered by ABB Atom in the late 1990s (ALARA Engineering 99-0030R). There is an updated version or that report around as well.

Mattias Olsson
Forsmark NPP, Sweden