[ RadSafe ] NCIS episode on dirty bomb

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Sun Feb 7 14:08:17 CST 2010

In fact, this was probably the most important thing stated in the
episode.

On Feb 7, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Eric.Goldin at sce.com wrote:

> But if you paid attention, you heard NCIS Director Leon Vance point
> out
> that a dirty bomb does not produce radiation injury and is really a
> weapon
> of mass disruption - I'm pretty sure he used those terms.  Right on.

You could hose off the remains of a typical dirty bomb released in
Chicago into Lake Michigan (4,920 cubic km) and no one would know that
a radioactive release had occurred. The panic that ensued from the
fear of radiation exposure would almost certainly kill more than the
radiation released.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Asst. Professor of Physics