[ RadSafe ] Vermont Yankee leaking tritium - what me worry?

William Lipton doctorbill34 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 21:27:59 CST 2010

It's interesting to note that, back in the 1960's, General Electric's slogan
was:  "Progress is our most important product."  This implied that new and
more advanced was assumed to be better. They dropped that a long time, ago.
(I believe it's now, "We bring good things to life.")  The public no longer
assumes that advances in technology automatically mean an improved quality
of life.  "The best and the brightest," who brought us Viet Nam, Love Canal,
Bho Pal, Enron, and the financial meltdown of 2008, are no longer trusted.
Most people, not just the whacked out radicals that many, here, consider to
be anyone who disagrees with them, do not want the "experts" to make their
decisions for them.  The burden of proof is on the promoters of a technology
to convince the public that it's safe.  We must thus be concerned about even
small, unplanned releases of radioactive material.  If we can't control
them, how can we be trusted to safely manage nuclear power plants?

You may think that this is unfair, and that your credentials give you the
right to tell others what's acceptable, but "trust me" no longer works.

Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.
doctorbill at post.harvard.edu