[ RadSafe ] RE: Queen's helps produce archaeological 'time machine'

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 07:55:06 CST 2010

Dear Roy:

As a geologist dealing with ore deposits considerably older than 50,000
years, I've not been able to use radiocarbon dating and usually stick to
uranium-series data.  As the title suggests, the main benefactors of this
research & discussion will be archeologists.  I'm usually more concerned
with radiometric equilibrium within sandstone uranium ISR deposits as well
as differential isotopic leachability of ore bodies when exposed to
different leach solutions (e.g. especially U238 - U234). As the article
mentions, "It has taken nearly 30 years for researchers to produce a
calibration curve this far back in time. Since the early 1980s, an
international working group called INTCAL has been working on the project."
I remember having coffee every day for 8 years with the Nuclear Data Section
of the IAEA, and the intense effort and intercalibration exercises with
numerous laboratories including Seibersdorf in preparing their series of
databases.  I hope that INTCAL will be equally successful.  I would
certainly hope that INTCAL has been through a similar critical review.

Perhaps Lisa McElroy might join in this discussion and explain the
significance of the new calibration data and methods  I'm sure that much of
the discussion will be related to potential contamination of modern
materials, sampling methodology, QA/QC, and intercalibration resulting in
the current database.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist