[ RadSafe ] FW: FW: Queen's helps produce archaeological 'time machine'

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:46:07 CST 2010

Attached are three publications / Abstracts describing the development of
Prof. Paula Reimer et al radiocarbon database. Anyone wishing to have the
original pdfs, please request them directly to me and I will provide them
(They are too large to include as an attachment).

I might point-out that these data are critical to the dating of marine
sediments and ice cores, and while mainly useful for archeologists, I'm sure
that there are quite a few applications for climate studes...

Dan ii

1) RADIOCARBON, Vol 44, Nr 3, 2002, p 653-661 C 2002 by the Arizona Board of
Regents on behalf of the University of Arizona; PRELIMINARY REPORT OF THE
FIRST WORKSHOP OF THE INTCAL04 RADIOCARBON CALIBRATION/COMPARISON WORKING
GROUP, Paula J Reimer1 . Konrad A Hughen2 . Thomas P Guilderson1 . Gerry
McCormac3 . Mike G L Baillie3 . Edouard Bard4 . Phillip Barratt3 . J Warren
Beck5 . Caitlin E Buck6 . Paul E Damon7 . Michael Friedrich8 . Bernd Kromer9
. Christopher Bronk Ramsey10 . Ron W Reimer3 . Sabine Remmele8 . John R
Southon11 . Minze Stuiver12 . Johannes van der Plicht13

ABSTRACT. The first meeting of the IntCal04 working group took place at
Queen's University Belfast from April 15 to 17, 2002. The participants are
listed as co-authors of this report. The meeting considered criteria for the
acceptance of data into the next official calibration dataset, the
importance of including reliable estimates of uncertainty in both the
radiocarbon ages and the cal ages, and potential methods for combining
datasets. This preliminary report summarizes the criteria that were
discussed, but does not yet give specific recommendations for inclusion or
exclusion of individual datasets.

2) RADIOCARBON, Vol 46, Nr 3, 2004, p 1029-1058 C 2004 by the Arizona Board
of Regents on behalf of the University of Arizona; INTCAL04 TERRESTRIAL
RADIOCARBON AGE CALIBRATION, 0-26 CAL KYR BP; Paula J Reimer1,2 . Mike G L
Baillie2 . Edouard Bard3 . Alex Bayliss4 . J Warren Beck5 . Chanda J H
Bertrand6 . Paul G Blackwell7 . Caitlin E Buck7 . George S Burr5 . Kirsten B
Cutler8 . Paul E Damon5 . R Lawrence Edwards8 . Richard G Fairbanks9 .
Michael Friedrich10 . Thomas P Guilderson1,17 . Alan G Hogg11 . Konrad A
Hughen6 . Bernd Kromer12 . Gerry McCormac2 . Sturt Manning13,14 .
Christopher Bronk Ramsey15 . Ron W Reimer2,16 . Sabine Remmele11 . John R
Southon17 . Minze Stuiver18 . Sahra Talamo12 . F W Taylor19 . Johannes van
der Plicht20 . Constanze E Weyhenmeyer1

ABSTRACT. A new calibration curve for the conversion of radiocarbon ages to
calibrated (cal) ages has been constructed and internationally ratified to
replace IntCal98, which extended from 0-24 cal kyr BP (Before Present, 0 cal
BP = AD 1950). The new calibration data set for terrestrial samples extends
from 0-26 cal kyr BP, but with much higher resolution beyond 11.4 cal kyr BP
than IntCal98. Dendrochronologically-dated tree-ring samples cover the
period from 0-12.4 cal kyr BP. Beyond the end of the tree rings, data from
marine records (corals and foraminifera) are converted to the atmospheric
equivalent with a site-specific marine reservoir correction to provide
terrestrial calibration from 12.4-26.0 cal kyr BP. A substantial enhancement
relative to IntCal98 is the introduction of a coherent statistical approach
based on a random walk model, which takes into account the uncertainty in
both the calendar age and the 14C age to calculate the underlying
calibration curve (Buck and Blackwell, this issue). The tree-ring data sets,
sources of uncertainty, and regional offsets are discussed here.
The marine data sets and calibration curve for marine samples from the
surface mixed layer (Marine04) are discussed in brief, but details are
presented in Hughen et al. (this issue a). We do not make a recommendation
for calibration beyond 26 cal kyr BP at this time; however, potential
calibration data sets are compared in another paper (van der Plicht et al.,
this issue).

3) RADIOCARBON, Vol 46, Nr 3, 2004, p 1059-1086 C 2004 by the Arizona Board
of Regents on behalf of the University of Arizona; MARINE04 MARINE
RADIOCARBON AGE CALIBRATION, 0-26 CAL KYR BP; Konrad A Hughen1 . Mike G L
Baillie2 . Edouard Bard3 . J Warren Beck4 . Chanda J H Bertrand1 . Paul G
Blackwell5 . Caitlin E Buck5 . George S Burr6 . Kirsten B Cutler7 . Paul E
Damon6 . Richard L Edwards8 . Richard G Fairbanks9 . Michael Friedrich10 .
Thomas P Guilderson11,16 . Bernd Kromer12 . Gerry McCormac2 . Sturt
Manning13,14 . Christopher Bronk Ramsey15 . Paula J Reimer2,11 . Ron W
Reimer16 . Sabine Remmele10 . John R Southon17 . Minze Stuiver18 . Sahra
Talamo12 . F W Taylor19 . Johannes van der Plicht20,21 . Constanze E
Weyhenmeyer11

ABSTRACT. New radiocarbon calibration curves, IntCal04 and Marine04, have
been constructed and internationally ratified to replace the terrestrial and
marine components of IntCal98. The new calibration data sets extend an
additional 2000 yr, from 0-26 cal kyr BP (Before Present, 0 cal BP = AD
1950), and provide much higher resolution, greater precision, and more
detailed structure than IntCal98. For the Marine04 curve,
dendrochronologically-dated tree-ring samples, converted with a box
diffusion model to marine mixed-layer ages, cover the period from 0-10.5 cal
kyr BP. Beyond 10.5 cal kyr BP, high-resolution marine data become available
from foraminifera in varved sediments and U/Th-dated corals. The marine
records are corrected with site-specific 14C reservoir age information to
provide a single global marine mixed-layer calibration from 10.5-26.0 cal
kyr BP. A substantial enhancement relative to IntCal98 is the introduction
of a random walk model, which takes into account the uncertainty in both the
calendar age and the 14C age to calculate the underlying calibration curve
(Buck and Blackwell, this issue). The marine data sets and calibration curve
for marine samples from the surface mixed layer (Marine04) are discussed
here. The tree-ring data sets, sources of uncertainty, and regional offsets
are presented in detail in a companion paper by Reimer et al. (this issue).

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist
2867 A Fuego Sagrado