[ RadSafe ] Example of Non-Regulated Materials

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 08:57:05 CST 2010

Hi Guys:

Please remember to use tinyurl.com or any long url's will be scrambled...

http://tinyurl.com/yhrz5v2

I noticed that Joel Grimm, Project Manager (Albuquerque DOE) was involved in
this project. Since there was no date on the presentation, is he still
involved?

"Regulated" Sources:

I remember having nothing but trouble in 1991 trying to find a disposal
solution for a 5 Ci Am/Be source for a neutron porosity well logging tool. I
finally hit upon transferring the source along with the probes and a 250 mCi
Cs source (gamma-gamma density) through the NRC to the IAEA and then to the
Geological Survey in Ljubljana, Slovenia (Geoloski Zavod Ljubljana). I had
worked with them back in the early 80s through the IAEA. Unfortunately the
Yugoslavian war broke-out nullifying the effort. The 250 mCi source was
eventually transferred to a college in Alabama for their physics program,
but the other source, although not "stranded", became a headache for several
more years.

But it is not only the companies involved in bankruptcy that had problems
during this time:

Remember that this was not the first instance of sources being stranded
through bankruptcy and sometimes the courts. The Goiana accident in Brazil
was one of these cases involving a "Regulated Source".

http://tinyurl.com/IAEAPUB-815

A general view of issues with sources was published in 1991 by the IAEA:

"Nature and magnitude of the problem of spent radiation sources"

http://tinyurl.com/TECDOC-620

In 1992, and in the wake of the Co-60 accident in Mexico, I was involved as
an IAEA expert to access site characterization and hydrogeology of two LLRW
facilities in Mexico: a proposed facility at Laguna Verde NPP, and an
existing LLRW facility at Maquixco. In my report, I recommended that the
Maquixco LLRW facility be closed and all source material removed and secured
based on the poor hydrogeological characteristics of the facility. Happily,
this was accomplished the following year.

Dan ii

--

Dan W McCarn, Geologist

2867 A Fuego Sagrado