[ RadSafe ] Example of Non-Regulated Materials

AnaLog Services, Inc. AnaLog at logwell.com
Wed Feb 17 08:35:30 CST 2010

This episode is confusing to me.  The presentation certainly does not
clarify things much.  For instance how could there be any I-131 (or a couple
of the other short lived tracer nuclides) left at the facility after ten
years?  Where were the state and federal regulators with respect to those
large sealed sources left laying around?  They could not expect the
employees of a bankrupt company to take them home for safe keeping I
wouldn't think.

I know some of the principals involved, and they are not evil people.  The
business about hidden rooms and false walls seems odd to me also.  I am not
privy to the real story or history of this unfortunate event, but I suspect
there is far more to it since none of the principals was ever charged
criminally.  The oil price crash in 1986 played a big part in this drama,
but the true story remains clouded to say the least.

Interestingly, as far as I know, none of the principals has suffered any ill
health effects despite one of them holding the title of the highest body
burden of Am-241 of anybody on the planet (according to him).

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  (270) 276-5671
Telefax:  (270) 276-5588