[ RadSafe ] Shoreham

McCarty, Mike (DNRE) MCCARTYM1 at michigan.gov
Thu Feb 18 09:51:41 CST 2010

Some of these power plants are turning into sources of spare parts.

Davis Besse has gotten organ donations from two sites.  They got the low
pressure turbine from Shoreham and one of the reactor heads from
Midland.

As I recall parts of the other Midland reactor became a source of test
samples for accelerated aging studies using neutron fields inside the
University of Michigan, Ford Reactor.  I am open to correction on this
point if I've gotten my wires crossed and fused a couple of different
story lines.

There are probably more instances as well.

Mike

Michael J. McCarty
Physicist
Radiological Protection Laboratory
Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment
(formerly the Michigan Departments of Natural Resources and of
Environmental Quality)

"Government employment:  The only constant is constant change."

517-335-8196
mccartym1 at michigan.gov