[ RadSafe ] CNN poll

Tue Feb 23 15:47:59 CST 2010

Yucca Mountain was a lost cause; trying to force the issue would have
consumed time and effort and probably not gotten anywhere.  I hope that
part of the reason the President chose not to go down that path is that
someone pointed out that as a spent fuel disposal site, Yucca Mountain
was based on a false premise; that spent fuel should be disposed of.

Spent fuel can be stored in cooling pools until it decays down to the
point where it can't damage itself, then it can be moved to dry cask
storage.  Under any reasonable scenario it can stay there until someone
wants to recycle it into more fuel (and no, I don't accept civilization
collapsing to the point where no one understands the signs, and the last
man and woman wrap themselves around a cask for warmth, all within the
next 50 years).

"No nuclear waste" is not going to happen, but waste has never been the
technological sticking point with nuclear power.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of garyi at trinityphysics.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:17 PM
To: radsafelist Radsafe
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] CNN poll

Actually it was the president who defunded Yucca, not Reid.  He kept a
promise he made
during his campaign to shut down the repository.  The other more recent
promise of loans for
2 new reactors is not consistent, is it?
  "No nuclear waste!"
  "More nuclear energy!"

Well, which is it?  I'm betting that the first act is more indicative of
long term outcomes, while
the second is more of a political charade.

-Gary  Isenhower