AW: [ RadSafe ] LSC Method Assistance Needed - CO2

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Jan 7 13:06:11 CST 2010

Hi Barbara,

Though I do rather rarely LSC counting nowadays (I am retired, but stil
cooperate with some foreign institutes) I feel addressed by your remark! I
have been working with LSC for more than 30 years and though I have not
actively involved in measurement of C-14 in breath I have some knowledge
about different techniques. (I have been determining C-14 in alcohol and in
waste water from nuclear research reactors.)

You have not mentioned the goal of the analysis, but I assume it might be
the Campylobacter-C-14Urea-test. I would as a principle recommend for
anybody searching for something to consult firsthand Google. Out of
curiosity I did it and found some interesting papers. (Campylobacter, C-14,
LSC.) One was a paper by a Perkin-Elmer employee, which gives a procedure
and names a cocktail. The link which Roy Herren gave to Perkin Elmer did not
work. I know for sure, that one of the most important sales argument of the
instrument "Triathler" of Hidex Oy (Turku, Finland) was the use for the
Campylobacter test. I do not remember the details. Unfortunately I have not
found any literature at their website (www.hidex.com) now. There is a hint
on this website for a new representative in the USA. You may contact them or
the main office in Turku - if you do the latter, you may mention my name, I
know personally Jukka Haaslahti, the owner and his son Ville.

I have hardly ever mixed cocktails (neither alcoholic ones nor LSC) myself.
There are several reasons: "Time is money", the chemicals may vary in their
quality and purity, which is not (or should not be) the case in ready-to-use
cocktails. For different applications in ultra low-level counting I have
tested up to 20 commercial cocktails. The topic of "nasty chemicals" is not
the main argument - a chemist should know how to use toxic substances
safely! The solvents used in modern  commercially available cocktails (like
DIN) are of course much "safer".

I hope I have been able to give you some hints, you are welcome if you have
further questions.

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD