[ RadSafe ] LSC Method Assistance Needed - CO2

CARTER Brian -NUCLEAR brian.carter at opg.com
Fri Jan 8 11:23:06 CST 2010

Hi Barbara,

This chain of emails was forwarded to me by a colleague and I would offer some thoughts on the subject.

I am assuming that you would like to stick with LSC, revise your process to use less nasty chemicals. You don't include too much detail on detection requirements, sample size and equipment available, so I will keep the comments generic.

If this is expired air, then unless you are using a fairly large volume (the amount of CO2 available) sample size will likely be an issue.

Since you are currently bubbling the sample through a mixture to capture CO2, you could simply use either sodium or potassium hydroxide as a replacement and count the resultant solution with one of the newer (safer) cocktails. Most of them can tolerate caustic solutions and chemiluminescence isn't much of an issue for C-14 counting if you raise the lower limit of the count window. A word of caution on cocktail selection, on the preparation tables that are available for these cocktails, they will state concentrations of caustic that can be safely used. This means safe for the cocktail, not your sample integrity. Many of them are strongly buffered to acidic Ph's, this of course will evolve the CO2 from the sample. Not sure of the rules in this forum, but I will suggest that Monophase may be a good cocktail for this purpose, we monitor carbonate waters and this is one of the better ones for that purpose.

These changes would get away from the organic compounds and move the process to a safer cocktail and simple caustic (which is still a hazard, just not as nasty), while maintaining an almost identical procedure. I can think of a few other suggestions that could "improve" the process, but they would require more knowledge of the application to see if they could actually be applied.

Brian Carter
HP - Environment
Ontario Power Generation