[ RadSafe ] LSC Method Assistance Needed - CO2

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:16:01 CST 2010

Dear Enoch:

There are two questions here: first is the efficiency of reacting the CO2
gas bubbling through an aqueous solution, and then once reacted, the ability
of the solution to retain the carbon. Gas bubbling is fairly efficient, but
if the gas is recycled through a high pH solution several times, virtually
all of the CO2 would be reacted to form CO3-2.

There is also a third implicit question: the concentration of CO2 in the
person's breath.  If a patient is exercising hard, I would imagine that the
concentration of CO2 in their breath would be elevated compared to that of a
resting person.  Also, assuming that the patient is not suffering from
metabolic or respiratory acidosis, and the blood pH was normal, then the
exhaled concentration of CO2 in the breath would be relatively constant.
But that's a little out of my territory as a geologist...

CO2 behaves like other gases. When a constant pressure of CO2 is exposed to
water, a portion of the CO2 dissolves in the water according to Henry's law:

CO2(g) <=> CO2(a)       kH=29.76 atm/(mol/L) at 25°C

A similar reaction occurs with nitrogen and oxygen, however, these two gases
do not chemically react with the water, CO2 does react to form a weak
diprotic acid;

H2CO3 <=> H2O + CO2(a)

The first ionization of that acid is a follows:

H2CO3 <=> HCO3- + H+    pK1 = 6.37

The second ionization has the following reaction:

HCO3- <=> CO3-2 + H+    pK2 = 10.25

The "other" important reaction is:

H2O <=> H+ + OH-

With distilled water, virtually all of the CO2 that is reacted causes the
water pH to drop.

At atmospheric pressure, the concentration of CO2 is 10^-3.5 atmospheres.
At equilibrium, the endpoint pH of the solution is 5.6 or so.  Thus all
rainwater is slightly acidic. For a person, the exhaled partial pressure of
CO2 is higher, so the solution would be even more acid if it were in
equilibrium. For distilled water in these pH ranges, virtually none of the
bicarbonate (HCO3-) dissociates to CO3-2, so the dominating equilibrium
reactions that can occur are:

H2CO3 <=> HCO3- + H+ ;
H2CO3 <=> H2O + CO2(a) ; and
CO2(a) <=> CO2(g)

Which can and will lose  CO2(g) on exposure to the ambient air concentration
of CO2 until equilibrium is reached.

So if a distilled water solution were to be reacted with a volume of air
from a person's breath, and then exposed to a lower concentration of CO2
from the atmosphere, the net result would be loss of CO2 from the solution
until it reached equilibrium conditions.

At a pH above about 8.4, most of the carbon would be in the phases:
HCO3- <=> CO3-2 + H+

And very little would exist in the equilibrium reaction:
H2CO3 <=> HCO3- + H+  as H2CO3 phase.

Thus the sample would lose very little carbon as CO2.

Now, if the aqueous solution is kept very alkaline with the addition of
sufficient NaOH to always maintain the pH above say 11, by Le Chatelier's
principle, more protons would be released and neutralized, and virtually all
of the CO2 that reacted with the solution would be forced to form carbonate
(CO3-2) with virtually no HCO3- present.  Looking at it another way, all of
the protons generated by the reaction would be neutralized by the OH- from
the NaOH. So the dominant reactions would be:

HCO3- <=> CO3-2 + H+  and H2O <=> H+ + OH-

with the bulk of the original carbon in the CO3-2 phase.  Thus, no loss of
CO2.  Some, perhaps most of the CO3 will probably react to form an aqueous
neutral species, Na2CO3.  There will also be contributions from NaCO3- etc.
I don't think that an end-product - Na2CO3(a)- is as important as the fact
that once the CO2 is reacted to form CO3-2, regardless of the carbonate
aqueous speciation, Na2CO3(a), NaCO3-, CO3-2, etc., the total carbon is
conserved and the carbonate stays in solution.

I would imagine that whatever "cocktail" is prepared, the pH would have to
be adjusted to be 9 or greater. One issue with the high pH cocktail would be
sorption of ambient atmospheric CO2 and ambient C-14.  If this concentration
is far below that of the sample from the patient (I assume) then the
addition could be could be dismissed.

Sorry to be so long-winded!  And I still didn't pullout my computer codes to
model the reaction... Yippee!

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist