[ RadSafe ] LSC Method Assistance Needed - CO2

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:27:10 CST 2010

Dear Enoch:

Indeed, the efficiency of single-pass bubbling through a medium is a
concern.  Here are a couple of anecdotal accounts based on my experience:

The opposite problem, air stripping a sample of water for radon, requires
about 1-2 minutes to reach equilibrium conditions in a closed circuit system
with the volume of air being roughly equal to the volume of water and the
total volume of air is bubbled 2-3 times through the water.  At least that
was my experience a few years ago.

Air-stripping can and has been used to efficiently strip radon from water
systems and approaches 99+% efficiency.  My modeling of radon release from
spray irrigation systems assumes that virtually all of the radon contained
in the groundwater is released, especially considering the very fine
droplets of water produced from the spray - providing a quite high surface
area.

Another experiment involves CO2 equilibrium in aqueous solutions:  I
required my students to measure the begin and end pH of distilled water and
CaCO3-dominated water using a bubbler through which air was bubbled.
Equilibrium took several minutes to achieve with a water volume of 250 ml
and a pre-rinsed fish tank bubbler system.  In the case of the distilled
water, the "endpoint" was reached when the pH dropped to 5.6 (equilibrium
conditions for atmospheric CO2) and 8.3 for CaCO3 dominated water.  These
endpoints were modeled using PHREEQC as well as measured rainwater pH and
analytical calculations.

So efficiency of a single pass for a bubbler would be hard to estimate,
unless the volume of gas sample was sufficient to cause the aqueous solution
to reach or approach equilibrium conditions.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist
2867 A Fuego Sagrado