[ RadSafe ] 3-year old boy goes through luggage X-ray checkpointin Denmark

neildm at id.doe.gov neildm at id.doe.gov
Wed Jan 13 09:50:04 CST 2010

 With the current state-of-the-art of artificial intelligence, translations of this sort are doomed from the start. Literal transcription plus grammar rules won't do it.

The statement that "Milton Berle was called 'The Thief of Bad Gag'" probably made most of the Americans (over 50 or so) smile, and most of the non-Americans say "Huh?"  In one short sentence there are two "tribal knowledge" references, a pun, and a colloquial meaning close to the inverse of the literal meaning.  I can only imagine what a literal-minded translation program could do to it.

If anyone wants to discuss it , we should take it off-line.

Dave Neil