[ RadSafe ] Reprocessing and Fast Reactors

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Tue Jul 6 16:30:19 CDT 2010

      For the record, the current French fuel cycle is
very far from being closed.  Their reprocessing
makes use of scarcely 1% of the used fuel.  They
use the PUREX reprocessing plant at La Hague
(inherited from the military), to extract some of the
plutonium and recycle it in MOX.

      Today's thermal reactors use only about 0.6%
of the energy in the mined uranium.  With LWRs,
about  85% of the energy is left behind in the DU,
and only 3%-5% of the energy that makes it into
the fuel is used.  MOX recycling brings that
fraction up to 4%-6%.

      The French are well aware of this, of course,
which is why they anticipate using fast reactors,
which can access most of the remaining 99+%
of the ore's energy.  And the Chinese, Indians,
Russians, Japanese, South Koreans  . . . are
well aware of it also, which is why they too have
fast-reactor programs.

      The United States is being left in the dust,
having abdicated its technological leadership
when the IFR program was aborted in 1994.
We are now without influence in the evolution
and safe management of nuclear technology.

George S. Stanford
Reactor physicist, retired