[ RadSafe ] Risk and Shady Business

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Mar 5 14:06:07 CST 2010

Thanks, Cary. I note also that these are real children who strangled, there were real parents who attended real funerals. For these folks, the perception that these were harmless home fixtures were met with a harsh and different reality. I'll take a 0.004% chance of a theoretical death any day, make me a margarita wit dat tritium water, which I will cheerfully sip while inhaling radon in my living room.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-4628
Fax   (615) 322-3764
e-mail     michael.g.stabin at vanderbilt.edu
internet   www.doseinfo-radar.com
From: "Cary Renquist" <cary.renquist at ezag.com>
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Risk and Shady Business

Gov't Slow To Push For Safer Window Blinds
http://j.mp/btIWvV

Saw this article right after seeing another "tritium scare" headline...

Brought to mind Sandy's comments on the general public's perception of
risk.

   Blinds and shades are some of the deadliest products subject to
recalls announced by the safety
   agency in the last 15 years. Yet the government has failed to require
manufacturers to design
   safer blinds and shades, relying instead on the industry to develop
its own standards.

   The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates about 500 children
have strangled on the cords
   of blinds and shades since the early 1980s, an average of about one
child each month.

If I remember the quick calc (NRC factors) I did back in Feb, I think
that a person would need to
drink 800 liters of water (2.2 liters/day) from the highest Vermont
Yankee well in order to get a
100 mrem (1 mSv) dose -- which *might* theoretically increase one's
lifetime risk of dying from cancer
by ~0.004%.  (Using the EPA's factors, 800 liters would be ~400 mrem (4
mSv))

With the blinds, there is a direct link to the death of 1 child per
month (on average) -- I'm sure that
statistic is insignificant compared to child deaths in
automobile-accidents/slips-n-falls/etc., but it is
a statistic that could be significantly reduced with some simple
engineering changes.

Guess which one gets all the protesters and news coverage?

Cary
Cary.renquist at ezag.com