[ RadSafe ] Airport Body Scanners

Doug Huffman doug.huffman at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 7 12:57:49 CST 2010

That is correct, millimeter wavelength, also known as "terahertz
radiation" and "T-rays", and backscatter X-ray are used.

The dose from a backscatter X-ray airport body scan is estimated by the
Health Physics Society at 0.005 milliREM (0.05 microSievert) and 0.009
milliREM (0.09 microSievert) by the manufacturer of one such device,
American Science and Engineering.  1 milliREM is considered a negligible
dose equal to two hundred such Health Physics Society scans.

Millimeter waves are reflected off clothing according to some sources.
In any case, the energy of such a photon is insufficient to break a
chemical bond or ionize an atom.

Unfortunately this is received knowledge from public sources and no more
believable to the doubter than the empirical knowledge from which it is
derived.