[ RadSafe ] Airport Body Scanners

Cheng Kit-man rhu_ic at dh.gov.hk
Sun Mar 7 19:50:29 CST 2010

While the effective dose is "almost" negligible (<0.1microsievert per scan)
from backscattered x-ray scanner and probably "nil" from T-ray scanners,
scanning should be performed on suspected subjects only as an alternative to
"strip search" and be based on reasonable assessment of the possibility of
averting an offence to the law.  If scanning is required, reasonable efforts
should be taken to protect the rights and dignity of the subjects.  Scanning
must NOT be adopted as a standard security procedure on each and every
passenger going through the airport security or on arbitrarily selected
subjects.

Clement Cheng
Radiation Health Unit
Hong Kong SAR, China