[ RadSafe ] FW: Pipe Cleaners

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Mar 8 15:05:13 CST 2010

Don,

Even without knowing the accurate circumstances I can tell you that radium
bearing "scales" are a big concern not only in the oil industry but also to
a much lesser extent to drinking water supplies, because radium is enriched
in them. For instance in Norway those scales from oil drilling pipes have to
be collected and are treated as radioactive waste by law. Similar
legislation exists world wide.
I do not know how in your case "natural" and "man made" is defined. Of
course the radium is of natural origin (NORM), but on the other side it is
accumulated by interference of human machinery (TENORM). Please keep me
informed of the outcome!

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD