[ RadSafe ] Airport Body Scanners

mailman-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu mailman-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
Mon Mar 8 18:34:37 CST 2010

Hi All,

Sorry, I don't know why this message bounced but here it is:

Jeff

From: Clayton Bradt <dutchbradt at hughes.net>
Date: March 8, 2010 6:35:58 PM CST
To: franz.schoenhofer at chello.at, radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: Airport Body Scanners

There are no health issues related to the body scanners. The radiation
doses are trivial.  The privacy/civil rights issues dominate, and I
must agree with Franz that the security frenzy that began after 9-11
and continues to this day is not only ridiculous and counter-
productive, but it threatens to bring to a sad end the oldest
constitutional democracy in the world.  I no longer recognize the
country I grew up in.  I used to feel sorry for the people who lived
behind the "Iron Curtain" who were spied upon by their own
governments, could be picked up by the police and questioned any time
of the day or night. People who had to show identity papers whenever
they travelled even INSIDE their our country!  That could never happen
here we thought. Now look at us.  All those terrible things are
happening here in the US as I write this. We have given away our
freedoms in exchange for the illusion of security.  God damn us for
letting it happen - without even putting up a fight.

Clayton Bradt
dutchbradt at hughes.net