[ RadSafe ] Air monitor question

Wes Van Pelt WesVanPelt at verizon.net
Fri Mar 12 08:25:01 CST 2010

John,

Isokinetic sampling has nothing to do with turbulent flow or mixing. It is
simply the matching of the linear velocity of the air in the duct with that
in the sampling probe so as to not select by particle size.  With a low duct
flow rate just reduce the flow rate in the sampling probe and sample for a
longer time.

The other issue is representative sampling across the duct which is related
to turbulence and mixing. For this I would suggest installing a matrix of
sampling probes across the duct and combine the flows so as to get an
average concentration.

I would not recommend using a conservative "safety factor" for various
reasons.

Best regards,  Wes
Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.