[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Air monitor question

Joseph Alvarez jalvabeta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:15:57 CST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joseph Alvarez <jalvabeta at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Air monitor question
To: Wes Van Pelt <WesVanPelt at verizon.net>

Wes
Isokinetic sampling has everything to do with turbulent flow and mixing. The
concept of isokinetic sampling was developed for laminar flow, then extended
by assumption to turbulent flow, i.e., the particles will behave essentially
the same. Isokinetic sampling has not been demonstrated to work and for this
reason the latest version of ANSI N13.1 recommends that the term and
practice not be used. Mixing is important to the isokinetic concept because
multiple probes across a nonlinear flow profile were believed to compensate
for the various flow rates and lack of mixing. ANSI N13.1 recommends single
point non-matched flow sampling because multiple probes matched to the flow
have entry diameters that are too small. Particle loss at the probe entry
increase with decreasing diameter.

ANSI N13.1 recommends demonstrated, representative sampling. In most case,
demonstration is not difficult. If the probe is located downstream of a fan,
the flow volume is well-mixed. The velocity profile may not be regular.
Joe

--
Joseph L. Alvarez, PhD, CHP
Alpha Beta Gamut