[ RadSafe ] A town was thrown into panic after the council began a campaign to prepare households to deal with radiation leaks

Fred Dawson fd003f0606 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 04:05:26 CST 2010

Further to the post regarding a town was thrown into panic; list members
might be interested to know more about planning for submarine reactor
accidents in the UK.

Dorset Council

Portland Port Off-site Reactor Emergency Plan
Portland Port is one of a handful of ports within the UK to harbour nuclear
powered submarines for the Royal Navy.

Portland Docks are used for operational visits by nuclear powered submarines
with two berths approved for use, otherwise called 'Operational Berths'.
Nuclear powered submarines shut down their nuclear reactors when in harbour,
and are equipped with extensive safety measures. It is highly unlikely that
an accident involving a submarine reactor would occur, indeed the Royal Navy
has been operating Nuclear powered submarines since the early 1960s and has
a safety record that is second to none. In addition due to the design of a
submarine nuclear reactor there is no risk of an 'atom-bomb' type explosion.

Dorset County Council, other Local Authorities and Emergency Services have a
statutory duty laid down by Central Government to plan and prepare for
emergency situations, in the highly unlikely event of a radioactive
accident. This is called 'Emergency Preparedness'.

Dorset County Council's Emergency Planning Service has been working in
conjunction with its partners of the Operational Berth Issues Group (OBIG)
to plan for nuclear-related emergencies in compliance with Central
Government legislation such as the 'Civil Contingencies Act 2004' and the
'Radiation Emergency Preparedness and Public Information Regulations'
(REPPIR). These Regulations establish a framework for the protection of the
public from radiation accidents or emergencies and have been the driver
behind Dorset's planning for nuclear-related emergencies.

A booklet;   "Information in the event of a Radiation Emergency in Portland
Port" [1Mb] (opens in a new window) describes precautions to be taken in the
unlikely event of such an emergency.

The   Portland Port Off-site Reactor Emergency Plan [2Mb] (opens in a new
window) is also available, along with a  guide to navigating the Plan
[678kb] (opens in a new window).

In compliance with REPPIR, member organisations of the OBIG will undertake a
review and where necessary revise the plan and test the arrangements at
suitable intervals not exceeding three years.

The documents can be downloaded at

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=361826

Fred Dawson