[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Information and Resource Service - NIRS

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 19 08:14:53 CDT 2010

Forgot to copy this to Radsafe:

--- On Fri, 3/19/10, Stewart Farber <radproject at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: Stewart Farber <radproject at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Nuclear Information and Resource Service - NIRS
To: "Roger Helbig" <rhelbig at sfo.com>
Date: Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:12 AM

For what it is worth, as a bit of my own " Nuclear Information and Resource Service[s]" to Radsafe land:

In 2008 the total U.S. electric generation from nuclear power plants was 806.2 billion kilowatt-hours [bkWh]
In 1961 the total U.S. Electric Generation from All Sources was 797  billion kilowatt-hours [bkWh]

So today's total nuclear electric generation is equal to a bit more than  ALL electricity produced in the U.S. a bit after 1961 when U.S. generation in total reached 806 billion kWhr.

So for those anti-nuclear interests that dismiss today's nuclear electric generation and maintain it can be replaced easily by other sources, any alternate mode of generation  will have to equal the entire installed electric generation capacity of the U.S. in 1961 which had been built since the start of the electric age about 60 years earlier !

Interesting factoid to me. I never imagined today's generation was so large vs. past electric generation. Since todays nuclear electric generation is about 20% of all U.S. electric generation, total electric demand today has increased  5 fold from 1961.

Stewart Farber, MSPH
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Bridgeport, CT 06604

[203] 441-8433 [office]