[ RadSafe ] Isotope Delivery to Hospitals

Clayton J Bradt cjb01 at health.state.ny.us
Tue Mar 23 12:13:29 CDT 2010

Diane Griffiths wrote:

When you have isotope deliveries after hours and on weekends, where do the
vendors bring the isotopes? Are they placing them directly in the hot lab?

This issue has just recently come up during a mock JCAHO inspection, and
they want us to create another storage area for the isotopes in the ER and
have the vendor bring the isotopes and pick up the old ammo cases in a
secure place in the ER. My concern is that this is just opening up another
"hot lab/isotope storage area" that has to be maintained as a secure area.
Then the technologists would have to run down to ER every day to pick up
the
isotopes and bring down the empty cases that are to be returned.

Have any of you run into this situation? If so, how are you handling it.
Thoughts?

I'm not sure I know what a "mock" JCAHO inspection entails, but it is your
licensing agency's opinion that matters here. Ask them what they think
about it.
Your concerns sound justified.

Clayton J. Bradt
New York State Dept. of Health
518-402-7578

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.