[ RadSafe ] Fw: Uranium contamination

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 00:38:19 CDT 2010

Dan,

Not sure about toxic levels of U in the US, there are so many .orgs dedicated to this you cannot find data.  So perhaps you, as a geologist know more.

I am only going on ancient memories but what about the Redding prong area in PA and western regions mined for heavy metals having levels of U that pose toxicity problems?   Some of the areas in Pennsylvania have been mined for zinc etc. and the USACE says whole towns are highly contaminated with everything under the sun.  Also, mined areas that have been turned acidic I believe sometimes have elevated levels of U and other heavy metals in groundwater.  Uranium, like most heavy metals has a high chemical chemical toxicity.  The question as posed didn't  specify radiological danger.  When I did a search online I found quite a few articles about arsenic from U-mines being toxic, so perhaps the U is not as toxic as other metals used in mining.

And where is that natural plutonium reaction area in Africa I read of years ago.  If true, it had to at one time have large concentrations of U-235 and Unat.  http://www.ead.anl.gov/pub/doc/Plutonium.pdf

Barbara Reider, CHP