[ RadSafe ] 10 rem from lightning??

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 08:29:31 CDT 2010

3-4 years ago I had the "opportunity" to be a passenger in an airplane that was struck by lightening just 5-10 minutes before we landed at Arlanda (our major airport north of Stockholm). I was in the first row sitting by the window and saw the flash + heard of course the bang like if something hard had hit the plane (very different sound compared to being in a house struck by lightening - I have experienced that twice...). No one screamed or anything like that.

The air hostess was standing there in the middle just 3 meters away - and seemed to remain calm - looked at us up front and just said what it was. After landing I asked her about the frequency of these events. Her comment was that she had been working in the air for eight years and this was the second time. I know this provides shaky "statistics" but 1-2 events per year worldwide sounds low.

Hope you excuse this off topic sharing of the experience itself (I do not want a repeat experiment...) - I am eager to understand more about the potential doses.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers at hotmail.com