[ RadSafe ] 10 rem from lightning??

Joseph Alvarez jalvabeta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 09:16:35 CDT 2010

Bjorn
I, too, experienced a aircraft lightening strike. We could see flashes along
and around the wings, very impressive. I agree. Once is enough.

While many of the news articles refer to radiation from lightening, the
radiation is coming from Terrestrial Gamma-ray Flashes. Gamma bursts
near/above thunder clouds. These were discovered by cosmic ray satellites
pointed away from the earth; therefore not optimized for flashes behind
them. There is a new, quite small satellite called Firefly to observe TGFs.
Other radiations have been suspected near lightening flashes from runaway
electrons in the lightening path. Those interested should Google TGFs,
runaway electrons, and subsequent terms that come up. Also, see NASA for the
Firefly.
Joe