[ RadSafe ] 10 rem from lightning terms

Baumbaugh, Joel T CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 55430 joel.baumbaugh at navy.mil
Thu Mar 25 10:05:34 CDT 2010

Radsafers,

Just for grins, lets take a quick look at the terms we're using.

A quick review:
Gamma Rays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray
x-rays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray   Yes, lets take a quick look
at the definitions again...

We say (myself included) "Gamma-ray" bursts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_burst  Shouldn't they be bursts
of x-rays?

Often when I look at charts of the electromagnetic spectrum I see
specific  energy ranges given for x-rays and then they have gamma-ray
energies extending out at higher energies than any x-ray photons, when
x-rays (or "cosmic rays - another misnomer) from, for example black-hole
accretion disk emissions or Supernovas, are MANY orders of magnitude
more energetic than the gamma-energy produced by any nucleus of any
element known to man. Here's an EM Spectrum chart example showing x and
gamma radiation energies:
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l1/emspectrum.html

I know that 50+ years ago we didn't have very good accelerators (to
produce high energy x-rays) and high-energy astrophysics/astronomy was
in its infancy.

Is it time to update some of our graphics or should we all just keep on
sleeping?

Or, am I have a brain-fart here (should I have more coffee and wake
myself up)?  And, does it really matter?  (grin)...

Ok, back to work... sigh...

Joel Baumbaugh
SSC-Pacific
Sunny San Diego...