[ RadSafe ] 10 rem from lightning??

DODGE, CHARLES (JSC-SD)[WYLE INTEG. SCI. & ENG.] charles.dodge at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 25 15:53:06 CDT 2010

I am rather skeptical of these numbers, but I would love to see more data on lightning related doses issues.

True there would be a very large source of electrons - But Air is a very very poor Bremsstrahlung target for electrons and the electron range in air would be so small that It is hard to imagine a significant number of electrons making it to the aluminum fuselage (behind the low Z paint). Even then Aluminum (Z=13) is still not great at producing x-rays. Bremsstrahlung efficiency is roughly proportional to Z^2. That's one reason tungsten is used as xray tube targets (Z=74).

I could be wrong in that the sheer amount of electrons compensates for the low production efficiency, but for me , for now, it seems much more likely that their readings were wrong .. Say an RF signal is messing up their detector readings or the like.

Chip

Charles W. Dodge, Ph.D.

NASA, Johnson Space Center

Bldg.15 Rm266