[ RadSafe ] Technician Pay

Marshall, Elaine emarshall at lrri.org
Fri Mar 26 11:25:33 CDT 2010

Was curious as to the pay range that you might have for a Sr. RCT?

General job duties would include:

Routines

Semi-annual leak testing (about 20 sources)

Job coverage

Coordinate instrument calibration (sent to a vendor and we have about 70
instruments)

Emergency response

Package receipt (about 2 packages per week)

We have interviewed several individuals and the feedback that I get is
that we are expecting too much and not offering enough in pay.  Our
minimum requirements include Associates and 3 years of experience.

What I am seeing in the individuals is that experience is very limited
(i.e. power plant or D&D) and that knowledge base is limited. Had
someone tell me that working with airborne alpha is no different than
with beta.  Someone else couldn't explain why one would use a GM and an
ion chamber to perform a survey of 250 mCi of Tc-99m.

I am really struggling to fill this position.  It has been open for six
months.  I know that there is competition with the contracts out there
for Hanford and Idaho Falls.  At the same time I am trying to ascertain
if the salary range that I have ($27-$30/hr with full benefits and
relocation) is unreasonable or if that is the convenient answer and
there are other issues I need to address.  Our benefits include 15 days
of vacation to start, medical, dental and vision, educational
reimbursement and pension, 10 paid holidays and flexible schedule.

Elaine T. Marshall, CHP

Radiation Safety Officer

Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute

2425 Ridgecrest Drive SE