[ RadSafe ] What is a Travelling Wave Reactor?

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Mon Mar 29 21:15:47 CDT 2010

Mike:
      Thanks for your comments.  You haven't  given me
much to disagree with either, but I've interspersed a
few supplementary remarks in your letter below.
      Cheers,
      --  George

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 12:36 PM 3/29/2010, Brennan, Mike  (DOH) wrote:

>Hi, George.
>
>I am not disagreeing with any of your points, and I don't claim to be an
>expert in this area; just knocking some ideas around.
>
>I don't think we are at the point where some lines of research should be
>opposed because they might lead to using fissile material that might be
>used in some other type of reactor.  It is entirely possible that what
>is learned in researching TWR will improve IFR tech.  Bright people
>working on challenging problems is often a good thing.

GS:  Very true.  But that does not change the fact that fissile
material invested in a non-breeder is like money kept in an
account that earns no interest.  In a sense, fissile material is the
currency for purchasing reactors.  No new reactor can be started
without enough fuel that is suitably enriched with U-235, Th-239,
or U-233.

>MB:  I think the not having to reprocess fuel might have a bigger energy
>savings than we normally consider.

GS:  The cost of recycling is not yet established.

>MB:  Also, leaving the fission products
>in the core for up to 60 years has the non-trivial advantage of having
>the decay heat in your reactor, where it is a plus, rather than in the
>cooling pool, where it can be a negative.

GS:  Literally true, but even with reprocessing, most of the
decay heat is gone before the used fuel is removed from
the core.  The energy difference is tiny.

>MB:  Also, I can see that you might get higher burn-up than expected, as
>there would still be some fissioning going on in the "depleted" region,
>as neutrons leaked into it.

GS:  Or the burnup might be _less_ than 25%.  The folks who
should know apparently don't want to say.

>MB:  I would give TWR credit as being breeding technology, as the initial
>load-out of fissile material, enough to sustain criticality for (let's
>say) a year, can be used to create enough fuel from non-fissile stock to
>keep the reactor running for 60 years (or indefinitely, if you design
>the system so you can load new fuel in while the system is running, and
>the "wave" can cross from the old fuel to the new without dying.
>(Generation 2.0 TWR)

GS:  That's break-even operation.  The TWR project does not claim
to do better than that, perhaps because there aren't enough extra
neutrons in the TWR geometry.

>MB:  I also don't see why you couldn't incorporate breeder blankets into the
>shielding of a TWR.  There are going to be neutrons leaking, so you
>might as well catch them in something useful.

GS:  True -- and that makes it look even more like an IFR.
Again, TerraPower does not aim for net breeding, and they
stress lack of fuel processing (necessary with positive
breeding) as an advantage.

>MB:  I don't know if this horse will win any races; I am not inclined to bet
>on it myself, at this point.  But it might be interesting to watch it
>run around in the field for a while.
>
>And if Bill Gates bets one way, I certainly would think hard before
>betting the other.

GS:  Maybe (?) he's counting on continued official foot-dragging
regarding implementation of the IFR.
      By the way, it's interesting that the IFR is never mentioned in
the writings about the TWR, although the TWR developers are
certainly well aware of it.