[ RadSafe ] Fw: Uranium contamination

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Wed Mar 31 17:50:08 CDT 2010

Why?
Public perception and politics.
(especially since we are dealing with evil weapons radiation and not benign natural or medical radiation)

The driving issue is that there is likely a regulatory requirement to clean up this material -- the health and safety decision was made when the decommissioning criteria were set (which means that it is probably more of a political decision that a true health-n-safety one).
I imagine that U was chosen because the DOE has responsibility for sites where U is the main contaminant and not other toxic metals... Or it might be that there isn't a bacteria that can "fix" the other metal species.

Does "technologically enhanced" U concentration in the soil constitute a credible threat -- not bloody likely.  There could very well be a geological formation a few miles down the road that leads to U levels that are far higher than the "enhanced" DOE sites, but unfortunately regulatory requirements demand that we be good boy scouts and leave our licensed site in the same condition that we found it (if not better condition).

It is a bit similar to the fact that as a rad licensee, I need to be very careful to monitor what goes out of my facilities and how I transport rad material, but I can pick up a family member from the hospital on my way home and transport 150 mCi+ of I-131 unshielded/labeled/etc, have dose rates greater than 2 mR in any one hour outside my house, and release unmonitored material through the sewer.  If I dump 150 mCi of I-131 on the bushes outside of my licensed facility I'll be in big regulatory trouble -- if my family member gets car sick and throws-up 150 mCi on the bushes outside of my house, there is no problem.

Cary

---
cary.renquist at ezag.com