[ RadSafe ] RE Alphatron gauges

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Sat May 8 16:04:50 CDT 2010

Nicolas:
The Alpha Ray Vacuum Gauge or Alphatron gauges did have radium in them, some even had two chambers, each with a source. However Alphatron was also a brand name and they made many different products, only a few of which were radium bearing gauges. Those that did were well marked. They are NOT exempt. Information available today would lead one to think that the radioactive ones were models 520 though 820, but there is no firm citation for that available.

If anyone wants to know what the gauge is, it is merely a cold cathode Ion Vacuum Gauge in which the filament is replaces by a radioactive source.
Here is a picture of one from an incident in 2004:
http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Alphatron/Alphatron.jpg

George Dowell

Perhaps the earlier radsafe message you are looking for is copied for you here here:

  b.. Subject: Info on old Alphatron gauge -Varian contacts
  c.. From: " Walter Cofer" <cofer at NETTALLY.COM>
  d.. Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 09:34:28 -0500
  e.. References: <2B295C460FFB5F40B3B073A5FD4000990327FF at ehs.ehs-domain.ucsc.edu> <003901c1954a$4ce79b10$e562ea18 at D3NZZQ01>
  f.. Reply-To: " Walter Cofer" <cofer at NETTALLY.COM>
  g.. Sender: owner-radsafe at list.vanderbilt.edu

      Here is the information I have for contacting Varian:

      Varian Assoc., Inc.
      Radiation Lab
      2700 Mitchell Drive
      Walnut Creek, CA 94598
      Larry Steinwandt, RSO (Ext. 2136)
      Karen Emry, Asst. RSO
      (925) 939-2400, (800) 544-4636, (925) 945-2136

      Both Larry and Karen have always been very helpful when I have contacted them for similar inquiries. Hope this helps.

      Walter Cofer
      FL Bureau of Radiation Control
      walter_cofer at doh.state.fl.us
      (850) 245-4545