[ RadSafe ] Liquid scintillation Standards

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed May 19 09:26:28 CDT 2010

Hi,

On my desk here at the University of Sevilla (Spain) stand three bottles of scintillation cocktails, received a few days ago. One of them - from PerkinElmer, which bought Packard - is made with xylene, the others with DIN (diisopropyl naphthalene). So the conclusion is, that xylene is still used. You may check the websites of PerkinElmer or Zinnser where you find information about the solvents used in cocktails.

On the data sheets of the standards not only the activity is given, but also the chemical composition.

Best regards,

Franz