[ RadSafe ] Hot Particles and Dan

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:20:07 CDT 2010

Dear Group:

1.  My only experience with a hot particle was shortly following the
Chernobyl accident in June, '86. My horse and I rode several hundred
kilometers through northern Austria with a scintillation counter mapping the
contact between wet- and dry-deposition, and I found one discrete spot where
rainwater had washed sediment from a road into a small grassy area. After
sampling the spot, I discovered that I had collected virtually all of the
radiation in a 1 L container.  After several subdivisions, I was able to
isolate a very small subsample responsible for the radiation in less than
1/2 gram of material. The particle exceeded 5 mR/Hr at 1 meter distance, the
maximum the counter could read.  I submitted the sample to Seibersdorf along
with a sample of the soil.  As I recall, they were a little distressed at
the result.

2.  re: my girlfriend: Apparently very little rubbed off. and she passed
through the scanners yesterday and today with no problems.  So please be
advised that even with repeated scans and contact, there was no evidence of
cross-contamination. I am now down to about 200 (29) uR/Hr at 1 meter
distance after about 50 hours, quite a bit better than the 5000 (710) uR/Hr
at 4 meters after 4 hours. I appreciate all of the very interesting advice,
especially Carol S. Marcus who had the most reassuring comment, but I
understand this is exactly her bailiwick! And Jack, you are correct, her
opinion is the only one that counts!

Note: Dose rate as measured (dose rate corrected) based on Rick Hansen's
suggestion.  Carol had mentioned the energy dependence (and I was aware of
it) but did not expect it to be so large.

Def. Bailiwick ==> Area of expertise

And, I could not help myself but include another poem, though this time not
from Robert Service! It reminds me of my older daughter...

Rebecca - Who Slammed Doors For Fun And Perished Miserably - Hilaire Belloc

A trick that everyone abhors
In little girls is slamming doors.
A wealthy banker's little daughter
Who lived in Palace Green, Bayswater