[ RadSafe ] Cardiolite Fate

Alston, Chris ALSTONCJ at gunet.georgetown.edu
Wed May 19 16:27:08 CDT 2010

Dan

You might want to review the NRC's Regulatory Guide 8.39, which can be readily found on its website.  I would apply a sum-of-the-fractions method to cut the suit to fit, in the very short term.

Or, from another POV, the physical t1/2 is usually controlling with Tc-99m pharmaceuticals, so after, say, 7 x t1/2 (42 h), you are just looking at the residual thallium (and contaminants).

Cheers
cja

P.S.  Hi, Barbara.  Glad to see that you are still doing well.

Dear Group:
Yesterday I received both Tl-201 & Tc-99m as a intravenous cocktail during a
cardiac stress test.  The dose was 3 mCi Tl-201 and 20 mCi "Cardiolite"
Tc-99m for imaging.  By the time I got home, I was quite radioactive, with
my Ludlum Model 19 measuring 5000 uR/Hr at a distance of 4 meters.
According to the information that I received, the test amounts to a 3.45 REM
total effective dose.
Should I be avoiding my girlfriend for the next week or two?  She works at
Los Alamos and I don't want to "contaminate" her.

The good news is that no problems were found!

Comments?

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist