[ RadSafe ] Hot Particle Definition

Hansen, Richard HansenRG at nv.doe.gov
Wed May 19 19:56:13 CDT 2010

Harry,

Here are some definitions of Hot Particle from the documents I have.
Note that the NRC also uses the term "discrete radioactive particles"
(DRPs) to describe "hot particles." I was not able to find a
"definitive" definition.

Radiological Control Technician Training
Site Academic Training Study Guide Phase I, part 6 of 9
DOE-HDBK-1122-2009. U.S. Department of Energy
Hot Particles
Hot particles are small, discrete, highly radioactive particles capable
of causing
extremely high doses to a localized area in a short period of time. Hot
particle
contamination may be present or be generated when contaminated systems
are
opened or when operations such as machining, cutting or grinding are
performed
on highly radioactive materials.

NRC, IE Information Notice 90-48, "Enforcement policy for Hot Particle
Exposures
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/info-notices/1990
/in90048.html

     "Hot particle" means a discrete radioactive fragment that is
insoluble
     in water and is less than 1 mm in any dimension.

     "Hot particle exposure" means an occupational dose to the skin
     resulting from exposure to radiation emitted from the radionuclides
in
     a hot particle on the body or on the clothing of the exposed
     individual.

NRC Information Notice No. NO 86-23: EXCESSIVE SKIN EXPOSURES DUE
CONTAMINATION WITH HOT PARTICLES
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/info-notices/1986
/in86023.html

Hot particles are small (in some cases microscopic)
particles of radioactive material with a high specific activity

NRC
[Federal Register: July 12, 2001 (Volume 66, Number 134)]
[Page 36502-36509] NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION
10 CFR PART 20, RIN 3150-AG25
Revision of the Skin Dose Limit
http://nrc-stp.ornl.gov/frdocs/66fr36502.pdf

With the installation in the mid and late 1980s of very sensitive portal
monitors,
many nuclear power plants detected contamination of individuals and
their clothing by
small, usually microscopic, highly radioactive beta or beta-gamma
emitting particles
having relatively high specific activity. These particles, known as
"discrete radioactive
particles" (DRPs) and sometimes "hot particles," most commonly contain
60Co or
fission products.

NRC REGULATORY ISSUE SUMMARY 2002-10, REVISION OF THE SKIN DOSE LIMIT IN
10 CFR PART 20
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/reg-issues/2002/r
i02010.pdf

Hot particles are very small, barely visible, particles of radioactive
material that are often electrically charged, and tend to cling to the
skin or to protective clothing. Some of these particles have a high
specific activity, and are capable of delivering shallow dose at a rate
that could cause the shallow dose equivalent limit to be exceeded within
a few hours or sometimes in less time. Hot particles have been found at
both nuclear reactor facilities and at nuclear materials facilities.

I do not have a copy of the following NCRP reports, but I think they
have definitions of "hot particle."
Limit for Exposure to "Hot Particles," National Council on Radiation
     Protection and Measurements (NCRP) Report No. 106, December 31,
1989.
NCRP Report No. 130, "Biological Effects and Exposure Limits for
"Hot-Particles," (1999)

Best regards,
Rick Hansen
Senior Scientist
Counter Terrorism Operations Support Program
National Security Technologies, LLC, for the U.S. Dept of Energy
P.O. Box 98521, M/S NLV128, Las Vegas, NV 89192-8521
hansenrg at nv.doe.gov
www.ctosnnsa.org