[ RadSafe ] OBSERVATIONS ON THE CHERNOBYL DISASTER AND LNT -Zbigniew Jaworowski

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon May 31 17:20:01 CDT 2010

Dan,

I gladly accept your offer. I was so much involed in the aftermath of the Chernobyl accident in Austria that I have become tired of it, but on the other hand I cannot resist to read "news" about this accident 24 years ago. However one should be careful, Zbigniew is not appreciated in Europe as much as he seems to be by some RADSAFErs. I myself read once a paper of him and I only could shake my head afterwards.

You wished me recently "Glueck auf" (for non-informed RADSAFErs: the traditional German greeting to those workers who are to enter the mine for work. I would have needed that a few weeks ago. I was at the recent RadChem conference in Marianske Lazne and instead of the traditional trip to Karlovy Vary I was happy to be allowed with 11 other participants to visit the main mine of the Jachymov (Joachimthal) Mine, which used to extract silver and minted since the middle ages the "Joachimsthaler" - which gradually became the European "Thaler" and even later the "Dollar". There is obviously not "any uranium" left there, My doserate meter did not at all sound  but the mine is still used for the supply of radon bearing water for various spas. And the radon concentrations in air in these galleries are exorbitant high (though not exceeding values found in Austrian houses!)

I wonder whether my ailments become better after having been there because of the Radon hormesis or whether I will die prematurely by a few seconds, because of my "deadly exposure" during this trip.

Sorry for all you seriously debating people on RADSAFE, I cannot take all the discussions for serious.

Best regards

Franz