[ RadSafe ] Plastics and radiation exposure

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Fri Nov 5 15:57:19 CDT 2010

Yes - that is precisely what I meant - but I was wondering if
de-polymerization with radiation would get us to the same endpoint and
if anyone knew what the required exposure might be.

I have seen Lucite degradation from x-rays and it appeared to be going
in that direction and I know that took some high exposures but was
thinking that maybe 10^3 to 10^6 times that much exposure just might
complete the job - and JUST MAYBE possible from an irradiator utilizing
high level waste as the source.

An interesting conjunction of waste streams.

Thanks for the reference - the video was interesting.  It sounds like a
solution for many issues - especially Styrofoam - and in some areas the
electricity is cheap enough to make it profitable.

NOT mentioned is what was left in the device after the oil was made and
how difficult that might be to remove or dispose of.