[ RadSafe ] CT vs. X-Ray for reduction of Cancer Death

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Sun Nov 7 16:55:40 CST 2010

Gary:
      Right on!
      --  George

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 04:41 PM 11/7/2010, garyi at trinityphysics.com wrote:
Hi Sandy,

I will be devil's advocate.

RE CT as a cost effective Ca preventive, here is a back of the
envelope, per person
estimate.  Assume at least 100 patients per week (200 is doable), 50
wks per yr, 4 yr scanner
lifetime (a conservative estimate).  That's 20,000 scans for every
scanner.  Assume the
scanner costs $1e6.  That would be $50 per person for each
scan.  Throw in another $50 per
person to make the venture profitable.  Voila!  For $100/yr, reduce
your risk of lung Ca
mortality by 20% and your overall mortality risk by 7%.  If (its a
big if, I know) it turns out that
annual CT scans do significantly reduce cancer mortality, and if I'm
approximately right about
the economics, then new CT clinics would spring up like mushrooms to
meet demand.
Haha, maybe the study authors are quietly buying up CT stocks now.  :)

But it does seem economical, and I haven't even considered the
savings due to cancer
treatments that are no longer needed, or the savings due to prolonged
productivity of those
who dodge the Ca bullet.  There's also the advantage of dying from
something that is often
quick, like stroke or heart attack, instead of lingering painfully on
your way to death.

One test that should be applied to the existing NLST cohort is Ca
incidence instead of just
mortality: did the CT screened group have significantly lower
incidence of lung cancer than
the chest x-ray group?  If so, it would certainly support the idea of
CT scans as a Ca
prophylactic.

It seems almost that people are afraid to ask some questions.

 > The notion that everyone would benefit from a higher dose of
 >  radiation in my opinion is not acceptable, nor is there evidence
 >  that there is any positive benefit. The risks are
 >  well-known and to ignore the known facts cannot be ignored.

I think you mean "not proven" instead of "not acceptable".  Yes, if
the data show that the 20%
is due only to early detection, then I agree with you.  I merely
think we should find out what
the data show.  Simply assuming that hormesis can not play a role in
the study results would
be a lamentable case of jumping to conclusions.  Historically, lung
cancer has been difficult
to treat, and I would be surprised if the huge difference in
mortality can be wholly due to early
detection.

-Gary Isenhower