[ RadSafe ] Therapeutic CT

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Sun Nov 7 23:08:05 CST 2010

Ahmad,

If they have Ca already, then there is no point in
screening them, so that can't possibly be correct.

-Gary Isenhower

On 7 Nov 2010 at 19:54, Ahmad Al-Ani wrote:

Jerry Wrote:

"Assuming the reduced Ca incidence in CT
recipients results from the increased
radiation dose"

But that was not ever mentioned in the study,
correct me if I missed it. It rather says this:

"Screening smokers and ex-smokers with high-
tech CT scans has been shown for the first time to
significantly cut deaths from lung cancer"

The way I understood it is that these patients have
lung cancer already, and the CT study was able to
detect and localize the tumor better than the classic
chest x-ray. Hence earlier detection and precise
localization resulted in less death on an already
cancer patients, not reducing the rate of cancer
incidence.

Whole body CT scan as a routine check up
procedure is not new. Actually it started about 10
years ago for people older than 45. The first
question was not about the dose, but how the
quality of life change of a patient, if medical
problem was detected, or ignored, in particular to
slow growing diseases.

Ahmad

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 03:25 AST Jerry Cohen
wrote:

>Assuming the reduced Ca incidence in CT
recipients results from the increased
>radiation dose, it is somewhat silly to suggest use
CT for CA prevention.An
>ancient rumor on how man came to eat roasted
meat relates that ages ago, a man's
>home burned down with his pig inside. The burnt
meat tasted better than the raw
>meat  they had previously consumed and so the
practice of burning one's home
>with livestock inside became a widespread
practice. In time, simpler methods of
>cooking meat evolved
>CT's are rather expensive and cumbersome.
Accordingly, It might be much less
>expensive and easier to administer prophylacic
radiation via xray or isotope
>irradiation.
>

>________________________________
>From: "Perle, Sandy" <SPerle at mirion.com>
Physics) Mailing  List
><radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
>Sent: Sun, November 7, 2010 3:40:04 PM
>Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] CT vs. X-Ray for
reduction of Cancer Death

>Jerry and others,
>
>My primary premise is that assuming the 20%
reduction is due to better
>detection, and I believe that is the case, I don't
believe that we should go out
>and give everyone a CT scan, not only to detect
other cases, but to provide a
>benefit to the radiation dose.
>
>I recognize Ed's references. I don't know that one
can simply extrapolate the
>results of some studies and statistics to what
benefit there would be if we
>exposed a significant % of the population.
>
>If it were an absolute conclusion that the need for
any dose reduction was not
>prudent, then all of us in the radiation protection
field have wasted a lot of
>time and effort.
>
>Note that the NRC is evaluating lowering the
regulatory dose limits to be
>consistent with the majority of other counties. I
see no need in that and
>believe current regulatory limits are adequate
enough. Perhaps the limits could
>even be relaxed a bit.
>
>Regards,
>
>Sandy Perle
>Sent from my Windows phone from AT&T
>
>Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to
have read and understood the RadSafe rules.
These can be found at:

>For information on how to subscribe or
unsubscribe and other settings visit:
http://health.phys.iit.edu