[ RadSafe ] World's Pilots Reject Body Scanners>Over Radiation Danger, Privacy Breach

Wed Nov 10 11:04:57 CST 2010

Hi, Gary.

I have no problem with that being part of the education about radiation
that flight crews receive.  Indeed, I would like to see research like
this examined and debated, to either be explained with more than a hand
wave, developed into models that have some sort of predictive value, or
suggest other avenues of research that will provide more insight.  As I
have said before, I am quite willing to be convinced that hormesis
occurs, if the evidence is strong enough to sway enough of the people
who know more about the subject than I do.

On the other hand, if TSA decides to charge a fee for the health
benefits of the body scan, I will be very put out.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
garyi at trinityphysics.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:19 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] World's Pilots Reject Naked Body
Scanners>OverRadiation Danger, Privacy Breach

Hi Mike,

Your post made me wonder if anyone had studied cancer
mortality for pilots.  So I googled "pilots radiation mortality" and
got (suprise!) more evidence for hormesis:

    Cosmic radiation and cancer mortality among airline
    pilots: results from a European cohort study (ESCAPE),
    Radiation and Environmental Biophysics Volume 42,
    Number 4, 247-256, DOI: 10.1007/s00411-003-0214-7

    Abstract:
    Cosmic radiation is an occupational risk factor for
    commercial aircrews. In this large European cohort
    study (ESCAPE) its association with cancer mortality
    was investigated on the basis of individual effective dose
    estimates for 19,184 male pilots. Mean annual doses
    were in the range of 2-5 mSv and cumulative lifetime
    doses did not exceed 80 mSv. All-cause and all-cancer
    mortality was low for all exposure categories. A
    significant negative risk trend for all-cause mortality was
    seen with increasing dose. Neither external and internal
    comparisons nor nested case-control analyses showed
    any substantially increased risks for cancer mortality due
    to ionizing radiation. However, the number of deaths for
    specific types of cancer was low and the confidence
    intervals of the risk estimates were rather wide.
    Difficulties in interpreting mortality risk estimates for
    time-dependent exposures are discussed.

Another study of Canadian pilots found this:
    Statistically significant decreased mortality was
    observed for all causes (SMR = 0.63, 90% confidence
    interval (CI) 0.56-0.70), for all cancers (SMR = 0.61,
    90% CI 0.48-0.76), and for all noncancer diseases
    (SMR = 0.53, 90% CI 0.45-0.62).

You have wonder, with data like that, what are the pilots
complaining about?

-Gary Isenhower