[ RadSafe ] Pilots urged to avoid body scanning

Mark Ramsay mark.ramsay at ionactive.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 11:15:16 CST 2010

Agree...

Without getting too hung up about exact figures.

Typical back scatter scan - 0.06 micro Sv (effective dose)

Typical dose rate at 37,000 above the UK - 5 micro Sv/h (high energy
radiation / neutrons etc etc).

(We could have a separate debate about low energy x-rays delivered at
very high dose rate to the skin vs. High energy penetrating radiation -
another day!).

I think the health issue is a red herring, but might be used to enhance
their cause (i.e. do not want to be scanned).

That said, I have questioned various cabin crew / pilots when flying for
work and in most cases they appear to pretty much unaware of the
magnitude of the radiation dose received during their work. If this is
so then it might well be that they are worried about the back scatter
systems - in which case some education is needed at flying school!

Rgs

Mark

www.ionactive.co.uk