[ RadSafe ] bakscatter x-ray

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Nov 18 00:13:31 CST 2010

While all this talk of civil liberties is fine, I really don't think that
wearing a plastic athletic cup will do anything except force the TSA people
to get even more intimate with your "junk"......
As for painting myself with pepto-bismol..... no thanks.

Next time I fly, I will just calmly take the scan and continue to my
destination........

And if a TSA lackey gets a kick out of an image of my body, poor guy......

Doug

PS: funny story from my past (in the early '80s), when working in the London
HQ of Schlumberger Europe, one of my responsibilities was evaluating whether
the RF field of offshore platforms' Troposcatter antennas could induce
sufficient current in our blasting caps to detonate the explosives we used
to perforate oil wells. And I also gave talks to the oil companies on the
dangers of RF fields on oilfield explosies. I had to fly to Aberdeen to meet
with the management of one of the N Sea operators and was carrying a
briefcase full of dummy explosives to show them what we used on their rigs.
So I decided that it would be wise to advise the screener what I was
carrying........
The screener asked me to step aside, and within a minute, three very large,
scary dudes asked me to follow them to a little back room, where they
examined my "samples" and grilled me on why I was carrying them, and my
entire life history..... And what caught their attention was that I had been
brought up a Catholic in Northern Ireland........... (remember that Britain
was in the middle of the IRA terrorist campaign.....). They phoned by boss
to get confirmation of my trip, they phoned the manager of the oil company
to verify that I had a meeting with them the next day and finally decided I
could fly. But they were unhappy about my carrying the "suspicious articles"
onto the plane. So they called the captain of the plane and asked him his
opinion. He said "give them to me, I will keep them with me on the flight
and give them back when we land......"

I wonder what would happen to me if I tried the same stunt today, flying out
of any US airports.....????

Doug Aitken
QHSE Advisor, Schlumberger D&M Operations Support
Cell Phone: 713-562-8585
(alternate e-mail: doug.aitken at slb.com )
Mail: c/o Therese Wigzell,
Schlumberger,