[ RadSafe ] Is it a privacy or radiation issue?

Khalid A. kaleissa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 02:27:36 CST 2010

The issue has two major concerns; health physics and civil right. I am not
going to comment on the 2ed one (i. e., the civil right) as it is
dramatically varying between states, and it is absolutely based on
constitutional or legal aspects and not scientific facts. It is obvious that
the radiation dose received by passengers from these scanners is very low
and as it is stated in one of the threads mails, it is less than the cosmic
rays from flying at 10,000 m.

It seems that we lose to follow our health physics way of judgment which the
risk balance (i.e., benefit cost balance). People tend to expose to X-rays
or even to much higher dose such as CT scans because of the medical
benefits. Accordingly, I suggest that security benefits compared to
radiation risk (having ALARA in mind) is the guiding conclusion to tackle
the fist point of the two concerns.

Furthermore, I would like to see regulation (operation and design) that
prevent public, including operators from such practice. I am not with or
against but certainly will adopt the conclusion of such study.

Best regards

Khalid A. Aleissa,
P. O. Box 6086
Riyadh 11442
Saudi Arabia
Office +966-1-481-3617         Fax +966-1-2810983 or +966-1-481-3887