[ RadSafe ] TSA all for show

Joel C. cehn at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 13:17:51 CST 2010

The bottom line, for me, is that the backscatter x-ray scans offer very little improvement over metal detectors.  They can detect largish objects, like guns/knives, same as a metal detector.  They can also detect ceramic knives.  Can you spell cost-benefit?

The whole approach of hand screening every child and grandma at the airport is doomed to fail.  When you know the screening methods ahead of time, you can figure out how to defeat them.  That's why TSA is always ramping up the screening--it always fails eventually.  Next will be body cavity searches.

The Israeli system is far superior.  They observe cars approaching the airport, when they park, when people get on buses,etc.  Those deemed suspicious get further screening.  Kids and grandmas don't have to be groped.  I'm afraid the TSA is yet another example of ineffective goverment.

Joel
joelc at alum.wpi.edu