[ RadSafe ] TSA Scanner is Health Risk

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Tue Nov 30 18:02:41 CST 2010

Hello Reuven,

I am confident that there is a lot of data regarding these units. The primary issue for someone other than the government or the manufacturer to monitor these units with TLD or other dosimeter is that the TSA must authorize the placing of these devices on a person entering the unit. The pilot unions wanted to test but at that point in time, the TSA would not allow dosimeters be in the unit. If you've ever been through one, they make you take everything out of your pockets, including currency bills, wallet, etc. A dosimeter is a no-no.

This list has provided links to studies and I have no quarrels with the data presented that demonstrates that the dose received by an individual is small. I traveled all day today and the airports I went through did not have these scanners. I would have gladly been scanned rather than the hand-on body grope.

Regards,

Sandy
Sander C. Perle
President